Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Moving to MOLINE

My car died... I left way too late at night to be able to drive through the night after flying in from St. Pete... I didn't sleep much during Poynter... and I just didn't want to leave home. It took me a grand total of 22 hours to final get my behind to Moline Illinois to start my four month internship at the Dispatch and Rock Island Argus.  That's mom and dad before I left. 

Currently, I'm in day two and... I love it! It's great, I really love community journalism. Illinois is a very interesting place to me. I had an assignment today that was about an hour out. I drove through some serious country roads and couldn't help but listen to some Canned Heat. I saw a turkey, and a pheasant, and a horse... and it rained a lot. It's incredibly beautiful here though. I'm starting my search for a long term story to work on too. 

I haven't had much time to unpack yet, let alone think. However, on my 22 hour drive to the midwest I thought about what kind of a journalist I am (Poynter has me beyond motivated). For lack of a better word, I would like to say that I am a "sensual" journalist, and if that didn't sound so dirty I would roll with it. But in my story telling and journalism I would like to cover an almost full palette (it would be kind of hard to cover taste) of senses. I really like just using audio to tell a story, even though I am a visual person. The idea of trying to describe a scene and trying to make the listener feel like her or she is right there really attracts me. They can use their own minds to imagine the situation being described.  I love making photographs that leave the viewer with more questions than answers or one single image that tells a story of its own. I really love producing a sense or feeling and want to use whatever is at my fingertips to do so. It's all truth, I just want people to enjoy the journey. 

more to come later. 


3 comments:

S.P. Sullivan said...

"Trying" to clear a bench? I cleared that shit!

Stephanie said...

haha!

Wasim Ahmad said...

You could try having people eat the camera to convey taste.